As homeowners seek to cut costs while they re-do various sections of their house, either for increased liveability or a bump in the re-sale value, flat pack kitchens continue to rise in popularity. The quality of flat pack kitchens has never been higher, and the savings in doing it yourself can easily run into the thousands. Furnishing dealers have swung open their doors to the general public, and flat packs are among their best sellers.
But remember, there are certain precautions you should take:
- Be sure that all floors and walls are level before commencing the project.
- Mark where all the cabinets will go, directly on the wall.
- Install the flooring first, then the wall cabinets.
- Then use a level to install the base cabinets, starting with the corners.
- Install the plinths or kick boards, then mark and cut openings for power points and plumbing, etc.
- Finally, install cupboard doors and drawers.
Even with these fairly easy steps, it is wise to call in a professional to install granite benchtops and to cut out the sink, among other more complicated tasks. One middle ground that many homeowners opt for is to order flat pack kitchens and then hire an installer to erect them. This plan can also save thousands of dollars.